UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Ryan Bader realized the energy of Linton Vassell’s kicks. That may have been enough for him to resolve his finest plan of assault was on the canvas.
Bader (24-5 MMA, 2-0 BMMA) took Vassell (18-6 MMA, 7-3 BMMA) out with a second-round TKO along the fence. The end came at the 3:58 mark of the second frame and gave Bader a win in the first defense of his light heavyweight title.
The light heavyweight title bout was the primary event of today’s Bellator 186 event at Bryce Jordan Middle on Penn State’s campus in University Park, Pa.
Vassell kicked early, however shortly found himself needing to fend off a Bader takedown try. He managed to stay upright alongside the fence and even turned Bader around for a takedown of his own. But Bader landed on top and tried to go to work. Linton served his method back to his ft 90 seconds in and they went backside to the center of the cage. There, Bader landed a left hand, then another. Vassell faked an excessive kick, then attacked the lead leg. He cracked Bader with a kick to the ribs halfway by means of, but Bader went back to his wrestling and drove Vassell to the canvas proper after that.
Bader dragged Vassell away from the cage and tried to work ground and pound. However, when he tried to jump to aspect management, Vassell obtained back to his toes. He tried to journey Bader to the canvas, but again Bader landed on high with a minute to work. Bader landed a knee-high to the chest and near unlawful because the round got here to a detailed.
Bader threw a heavy left to open the second, then simply missed a high kick. But after that, he went properly back to his strength and landed a takedown 20 seconds into the spherical. Bader punched just sufficient to stay active and keep referee Keith Peterson from standing them up. Eventually, Vassell acquired to his feet simply past the halfway level of the round, but Bader dragged him proper again down. Vassell landed just a few left hands from him again, and Bader didn’t like them. So he fired back and shortly put Vassell in bother.
The champ kept on firing and stored on touchdown. And it didn’t take long for Peterson to jump in to rescue the challenger.
Up-to-the-minute Bellator 186 outcomes embrace:
- Champ Ryan Bader def. Linton Vassell through TKO (punches) – Round 2, 3: 58
- Ilima Macfarlane def. Emily Ducote via verbal submission (armbar) – Spherical 5, 3:42 – to win inaugural
- female’s flyweight title
- Phil Davis def. Leo Leite via unanimous determination (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Ed Ruth def. Chris Dempsey through knockout (punch) – Spherical 2, 0:27
- Saad Awad def. Zach Freeman through TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:07
- Scott Clymer def. Michael Benjamin Putnam through TKO (punches) – Spherical 1, 3:07
- Mike Wilkins def. Brett Martinez by way of submission (rear-bare choke) – Spherical 2, 1:09
- Michael Trizano def. Mike Otwell through submission (D’Arce choke) – Spherical 2, 2:07
- Dominic Mazzotta def. Matthew Lozano via TKO (physician’s stoppage) – Spherical 1, 2:37
- Logan Storley def. Matt Secor by way of unanimous determination (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
- Tywan Claxton def. Jonathan Bonilla-Bowman through knockout (flying knee) – Spherical 1, 1:29
- Frankie Buenafuente def. Francis Healy by way of unanimous choice (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Andrew Salas def. Ethan Goss via cut-up choice (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Josh Fremd def. Ryan Parker through submission (rear-naked choke) – Spherical 2, 1:25